Moving soon? Ensure Success with these 3 Tips!
Are you moving soon and feeling overwhelmed? Don’t know where to start? Moving residences is stressful. There are so many tasks to keep track of and you may feel like it’s all quickly piling up. No need to worry, we’re here to help. As relocation experts, we have pinned down the top 3 things you must do when getting ready to move.
1. Planning is Key
We often get asked how can someone make moving less stressful for themselves. As relocation professionals, our response will always be to make a plan first. It may be an obvious thing to do, but without a well-organized plan, you may miss a few things and will likely feel overwhelmed. Taking time to develop a moving plan will help you feel confident and calm as you maneuver the countless tasks that are involved in relocating. Our suggestions include:
- Timeframe – When is your moving date? Is there a specific day you need to be out of your current residence or be moved into your new place? Having an understanding of your timeline will help you reach important milestones and be the driving factor for many tasks.
- Budget – Knowing your overall moving budget is essential. This number will help you decide the best moving company for you, what services to include for your move, and help you stay on track. Your budget should also include travel expenses and temporary housing expenses.
- Checklist – There are many small, but necessary tasks that one must remember when relocating. Tasks that can be overlooked include disconnecting utilities, forwarding your mail, informing financial institutions, and forwarding medical records. Other larger tasks that include selling your home, packing your belongings, and hiring professional movers require longer lead times. Keeping a checklist will not only help you remember what needs to get done but will also track your progress so you can breathe a little easier knowing you are closer to your goal!
2. Hire Professional Movers
Begin your search for a professional moving company as soon as you know you are moving. Here are reasons why we suggest starting early if you can:
- Avoid Delays – Creditable, quality moving companies almost always max out capacity during the peak moving season (May – September), so you want to reserve a spot as early as possible to avoid any potential delays. Even if you are not moving during peak season, the more notice the better.
- Ask Questions – This is the time to have all your moving questions answered. You can reference our resources section on our website and our FAQ page for answers to the most common questions. As you curate your move plan, do not be afraid to leverage the knowledge of professionals for tips and advice.
- Understand Pricing – The cost of your move depends entirely on the distance you are moving, the type or category of your move, the number of belongings you have, and any additional services you may require. Receiving a free estimate, either virtually or in-home will help you organize your moving budget as this section will likely be the biggest cost.
- Multiple Quotes – Having extra time on your hands means you can shop around to find the right professionals that suit your budget. Take advantage of the opportunity and get multiple quotes from companies around your area. Make sure you’re comparing at least more than two companies in all aspects of their services to see what each mover offers.
- Schedule Early – Once you have decided on the mover of your choice, go ahead and schedule your move to secure your moving date. Once completed, this will be a major accomplishment in your plan and enable you to focus your energy on other items.
3. Start Packing!
Packing seems to be endless once you start. Depending on if you’re living in a small apartment or a large single-family home, the packing duration will vary—it may take a few days or several weeks to sort through what you are planning to keep, giveaway, and dispose of. This is the number one reason we recommend packing as soon as you know you will be moving. In fact, there is no right or wrong way to start packing. Just grab a box and start filling it up! These are the most popular packing questions we get from customers:
- What do I pack first? You can start packing items you don’t use weekly, or even day to day, like off-season clothes, décor, books, picture frames, and so on. You can start packing guest bedroom items, holiday decorations, and electronics not in use.
- What do I pack last? We suggest you save and pack essential items you use daily last. These items include medications, clothes, kitchen supplies, toiletries, paperwork, etc. A great tip we tell our customers is to pack as if you’re going on vacation and include enough clothes and essentials to last you through moving out of your old home and into your new place. Make sure to pack a suitcase for every member of your family, including pets! We also recommend packing a box or storage bin with disposable cutlery, plates, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and anything else you may need right after moving in for use until your belongings are unpacked.
- What should I hold onto when moving? You should keep all medications, personal and legal documents, wallets, laptops, chargers for electronics, and anything else considered valuable or personal that would not be easily replaced during the move.
- How soon should I start packing? As soon as you can! You should aim to pack a little bit every day leading up to your move date. This will help you from getting too overwhelmed and keep yourself on track.
We know how stressful moving is and we wish we could be there every step of the way. We can, however, support you in all ways possible. That is why we provide a full array of trustworthy moving services that helps relieve the stress and burden of moving. Entrust your valuables with only the best and most reliable moving experts. Reach out today to contact one of our experts: (512) 266-6900.